Early Years Foundation Stage
We believe that the first years in a child’s life are very important and we seek to develop a child’s potential at Dovecot Primary School through a stimulating, multi-sensory, broad and balanced curriculum in a secure, caring and creative environment.
We foster strong partnerships with parents, as we believe good links with home have a powerful influence on the child’s development. We know that children feel more confident and positive about their learning when parents and teachers work together, in an atmosphere of mutual respect and co-operation. We look forward to developing this partnership with you and trust you will feel happy to communicate with us about your child at any time; please contact us directly at school.
The Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum has seven areas of learning and development. These are all related to each other; however they are divided into Prime and Specific Areas.
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
In addition the EYFS curriculum places importance on the way in which children learn, this is referred to as the characteristics of learning:
- Playing and Exploring: Finding out and exploring, playing with what they know and being willing to ‘have a go’.
- Active Learning: Being involved and concentrating, keeping on trying and enjoying achieving what they set out to do.
- Creating and Thinking Critically: Having their own ideas, making links and choosing ways to do things.