Cedar Class (Y1)
Welcome to Year 1 - Cedar Class
I'm the Year 1 Teacher at Dovecot Primary School. I'm very excited to meet you in September, here's a little bit about me:
- I love Disney!!
- I love animals, especially dogs - I babysit my sister's dog Clyde and love spending time with the school dog Alfie
- I enjoy going for walks in the countryside and on the beach
- My favourite dinner is a Beef Roast - yum!!
Year 1 Information
Transition from Reception to Year 1
Our aim is to ensure that the children experience a smooth transition from the Foundation Stage to Key Stage One. The Year 1 curriculum builds upon and extends the experiences that children have had in Reception. Learning through play will continue to be an important part of the school day, and the children will gradually be eased into more formal learning as the year goes on so that they remain motivated, enthused and eager learners. Please don’t hesitate to come and see me either before or after school if you have any questions or queries.
Reading in Year 1...
Your child will be given a set of books and a reading diary to bring home. Your child will need to keep their reading diary and books in their book bags to bring to school every day. Your child will read with myself or Mrs Badrock on a Thursday. The children will also have lots of opportunities to read and enjoy books throughout the week at school and at home.
Star of the week…
Each Monday one child’s name will be picked from a hat and chosen to be our Star of the Week. This child will be responsible for helping with jobs in the classroom throughout the week including taking the register with a friend and so on. On Friday, this child will bring home our class bear and a diary for the weekend. They will be asked to take the teddy on their adventures over the weekend and record what they do in the diary. If your child is not yet able to do this it is perfectly acceptable for you to write in the diary what your child says. Please return this to school on Monday so your child can show and share their weekend news with the class.
- The children will be doing PE every Thursday. Please ensure your child has their PE kit in school and that all items are clearly labelled with their name. We encourage children to practise getting dressed at home to help them get changed quickly in school!
- Any letters or reply slips, which need to be returned, can be put in your child’s book bag. The children are encouraged to check them each morning and give things in after the register.
- Homework will be given out every Friday, which will be returned on a Tuesday.
- Spellings will be handed out on a Wednesday, please practice them at home, as there will be a test on Monday.
Learning at Home
If your child is isolating; therefore learning from home, the class page will be updated weekly with classwork that your child can complete with a grown up.
- Oxford Owl - www.oxfordowl.co.uk
- Top Marks - www.topmarks.co.uk
Home Learning w/b 19.10.20
Please read the overview sheet, it explains how to complete each task
Paper copies of English and Maths work will be sent out
In Year 1 we have been looking at Part Whole Model, I have attached a worksheet for each day. Please read the overview sheet. Once the task is complete please send a photo on Class Dojo of your work!
Read Write Inc Phonics
Letters have been sent on Class Dojo. I will be sending the videos of the sounds that your child will be learning this week on Class Dojo.
Links to reading books will be sent via Class Dojo
Art and Craft
Please send me photos of your creations on Class Dojo.
Read Write Inc Phonics
Art and DT
Today we went around our school grounds, looking for signs of Autumn.
We know that when it is Autumn, the trees change and the weather gets colder.
When we went on our walk, we could see the changes in the trees, going from green to orange or yellow.
We collected some of the leaves, conkers and acorns that we found on our walk so we could make some Autumnal Art
Super Speedy Speed Bounce!
Year 1 have worked really hard in their practice sessions for their virtual Speed Bounce Competition.
Here are some of the photos that were taken during the competition.
Well done to you all for all of your hard work!!